Not that everyone wants to attract a ghost…..but…..there are things that do make one house more inviting to a ghost than other houses and things that make one person more attractive to a ghost than others. It may not be obvious to the wider world whether you and/or your house are dead-sexy to the dead, but I can tell you some things that ghosts find very appealing:
1. Psychic abilities.
Possessing psychic abilities of any sort and to any degree makes you a ghost magnet, with the strongest magnetism lying in the hands of people like me who can see and hear the spirits of the dead. I don’t know how ghosts know, but they know.
2. Neglected homes with neglectful occupants.
A neglected, un-cared-for house or apartment has an energy signature that is much the same as a vacant building. Ghosts like to take up residence in places that they won’t be kicked out of, and a neglected home might as well have a “Ghosts Welcome!” sign out front.
3. Passive people.
People who have no backbone and allow others to walk all over them, possess passive qualities that ghosts find attractive. To a ghost, if you won’t set boundaries and defend yourself against living people, you are highly unlikely to defend yourself against the non-living either. And they like that. Also, passive people tend to be easy to scare, and thus easy for a ghost to startle and “feed” off of. But most importantly, passive people put up with a lot, and are likely to put up with more, so ghosts can mess with all kinds of things and stay a good, long time, with a passive host.
4. Volatile people and relationships.
Ghosts feed off the energy that living humans emit, and we emit the biggest bursts of energy when we are angry or afraid. Volatile, aggressive, argumentative people are extremely attractive to ghosts, as are the people they scare or fight with. A household with a lot of verbal and/or physical fighting going on is like an all-you-can-eat buffet to a ghost — hard to resist.
5. Old houses.
New houses are not immune to ghosts, but old houses are definitely more popular with the ghostly crowd. Many old houses already have old ghosts in them, but even if your old house is ghost-free, it is likely to have had a ghost or two in it at one time or another over its long history. And once a ghost is gone, an energy residue remains that marks a house as “ghost-friendly,” and this can attract new ghosts.
6. People obsessed with ghosts.
Our thoughts and interests draw not only information to us, but energy and entities as well. Being obsessed with ghosts and spending every waking moment thinking about ghosts, talking about ghosts, talking to ghosts, posting ghost photos online, binge-watching ghost-centric TV shows, getting ghost tattoos, decorating your home with a ghost motif, etc. will draw them to you.
And now that I have given you all these fabulous, helpful pointers for attracting and retaining your own little Casper the Friendly Ghost, let me say this: Having a ghost in your house or in your life is not a good thing, even if having one makes you feel special. Please hear this, if you hear nothing else: even charming, well-meaning ghosts are parasites. Ghosts come in as many different forms and with as many different temperaments as living people do, as death doesn’t change the essence of who we are. But ALL GHOSTS — including the nice ones — need to feed to keep their energy up, and they do this by consuming the energy that living humans throw off. Even if you have lots and lots of energy, having a parasite in your life is disruptive and depleting.
To be clear, I am speaking about long-term, “career” ghosts here, not your recently deceased loved ones. The spirits of the recently deceased are in transition and are not attached to you or to your house in the ways I describe. In this transitional state, your loved ones pose no difficulty and no danger to you, your energy, or your sanity. It is only when a spirit remains Earth-bound for an extended period of time that they become problematic, and it is this sort of ghost that I am writing about today.
It is not my intent to promote mass hysteria over how many of the above qualities you may possess and how irresistible you may be to ghosts, as there are things you can do to protect yourself from being overly attractive to “career” ghosts:
1. If you have sensitivities and/or psychic abilities, you may not be able to turn off your magnetism, but you can do regular house cleansings to flush ghosts out, and you can set up ghost-free zones in your home. To establish such a zone, simply cleanse the chosen rooms and keep them clear of ghosts by claiming the space as all yours. Sounds too simple to be true, but the INTENTION energy that you exert is powerful, and will act as a repellent. Also, when you are in one of these rooms (especially in your bedroom at bedtime), blow towards the door. Your living breath is also powerful and will blow any stray energy or entities out the door.
2. Care for your home, yourself, and the people you live with. Fix things that need fixing, clean things that need cleaning, and live like your home matters to you.
3. Grow a pair. Stick up for yourself. Set boundaries and defend them.
4. Quit fighting with everyone about everything. Take out your aggression at the gym, and find another way to resolve problems at home.
5. Do a house cleansing to flush out spirit entities and to clear out energy residues, and then energetically seal your house. Claim your home as yours, bless it, and establish an energetic force-field boundary around it to make it hard (if not impossible) for ghosts to get in.
6. Don’t invite people — living or dead — into your home if you don’t want them there. And it is fine to read this blog and have an interest in ghosts and the afterlife, but please be interested in other stuff, too.
In closing, I want to say this to those of you who are still concerned about being too attractive to ghosts: if you live your life fully, you and your home will be so full of life that there will be no room left for ghosts to fit in. Ghosts seek the empty spaces, so the best thing you can do to stay safe from their parasitic ways is to fill your life with living.